Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Red & gray Ford tractor in landscape underpainting; oil on panel by Paul Baldassini

Please contact me via email:
paul@baldassinifineart.com

“Suggestion is much more interesting than statement”  — Noel Coward


Here is the completed underpainting, in Quinacridone Magenta (Sennelier) oil on 1/2-inch MDF panel, sealed and primed with one coat of Latex exterior white housepaint and two coats of Gamblin Oil Painting Ground. Trim size is 33 1/2 x 24 inches.

I continued working my way down, pickle jar full of OMS, a big glob of Quin Magenta on my palette, and a rag in my left hand. I thinned out the paint as necessary laying in tone and wiping out, much like the way I would paint a watercolor. After all of the up close detail work with smaller brushes, it was fun to work the foreground grasses nice and loose using a larger brush and holding it way back at the end of the handle. Total time was about 8 hours. I’ll start the overpainting next and as long I stay true to the values of the underpainting with my color mixing, there should be no problems. But before I start that the underpainting needs to dry for a several days, at the very least.

For this last painting session I listened to more of the Fleetwood Mac  Live at the Boston Tea Party   3-CD set recorded in February 1970 as well as Lou Reed’s   Live in Italy  recorded during the 1983 tour. Great band on that tour btw, featuring Robert Quine’s psychotic lead guitar.

Thanks again for visiting.

P.

No comments:

Post a Comment