Saturday, August 6, 2011

John Deere 2640 overpainting; in-progress oil on panel by Paul Baldassini

Please contact me via email:
paul@baldassinifineart.com

“I don’t trust men who smile too much.”  — Kor, Klingon commander



Place a reserve deposit on this in-progress painting
and receive a plein air field study FREE!  
contact paul@baldassinifineart.com for details

This is my overpainting in-progress.  Five hours work, so far.  The predominantly green background was a challenge as not only did I have to mix a variety of different greens, this tractor like all John Deere tractors is  also predominantly green.

My starter piles were mixed from 1. Chinese Orange (Sennelier) and Indigo (Willamsburg) and 2. Perylene Crimson (Willamsburg) and Indigo .  I mixed up a bunch of each of those transparent mixtures along with a large glob of medium (Old Masters Maroger, Flemish formula) and oiled up the background.  This allowed me to further develop my value plan already on the background with my Quin magenta underpainting.  I proceeded to glaze an orangey-greenish color on the left moving across the panel to violety-blues on the right — warm to cool.  After that set up, I got right to work direct painting with more opaque mixtures using ever-growing little piles of warm and cool greens.  These are made up from my master piles modified with all three  yellows on my palette: Cadmium Yellow Lemon and Medium (Sennelier) and a new color I’m introducing into my palette, Cadmium Yellow Deep (Holbein).  The Cad Yellow Deep and Viridian (Willamsburg) mixtures make stunning warm greens and the Indigo/Chinese Orange mixed with Warm Gray (Sennelier) or Raw Sienna (Willamsburg) make lovely cool blue-greens.  In fact Warm Gray is mixed into just about every color I mix to neutralize it as necessary.  Most everything in nature is really a dulled down hue anyway.  When I come back later with more full chroma hues here and there, they really sparkle.

I tried (very hard) not to noodle around after the fact and made every brush stroke matter.  The (almost) unconsciously considered strokes have great presence and I’d rather leave a mistake in there than mess everything up with overworked fix-ups, which are, unfortunately sometimes necessary.  Once I get in the zone I can move along without really thinking about what I am doing and many hours later when I stop and step back and really take a good look, I am  usually quite pleased.


Thanks for visiting.

P

No comments:

Post a Comment